If you have a stable version of znc installed and want to develop a module, it is a good idea to spin up a new instance of znc on a different port. There are two main reasons for this...
- While developing a module, there is a high likelihood that you may crash the whole znc instance and may not want to disrupt your normal irc session.
- You may need to develop on a bleeding edge non-stable version while using the latest stable release for your regular enjoyment.
- svn co https://znc.svn.sourceforge.net:/svnroot/znc/trunk znc
- cd znc
- ./configure --prefix=$HOME/devznc --enable-debug
- prefix is in case you need to test post-install, otherwise just run from the source tree
- ./znc --datadir $HOME/.znc-dev --makeconf
- make sure to have it listen on a different port
- ./znc --datadir $HOME/.znc-dev
You will now have your own znc instance running on a new port and can crash it to your heart's content.